10 fast facts about ENF
- East Neuk Festival was the idea of Donald and Louise MacDonald who co-founded it with Svend McEwan-Brown in 2004.
- The heart of the ENF is intimate chamber music, but we’re eclectic: world, jazz, folk, contemporary, early, choral and electronica all have their places. We have also commissioned films, exhibitions, public art and installations and literature events.
- Our smallest project might be a concert in a tiny space for 30 people; our biggest project to date was Memorial Ground, a UK-wide commission reaching thousands of people throughout the UK and nearby Europe.
- We reach for the stars, and regular visitors include Christian Zacharias, The SCO, The Tallis Scholars, the Belcea, Elias, Calidore and Castalian String Quartets, Theatre of Voices, Paul Hillier, Renaud Garcia-Fons and Sean Shibe.
- Our venues are quirky, atmospheric and special: from churches, halls, an ex-nuclear bunker, caves, an RAF base, a Scout hut to stately homes and gardens…
- We connect with our community in many different ways, but most visibly through our annual BIG PROJECT. This is a commission for a major artist to create a new work for community and professional musicians, inspired by the landscape, heritage or history of the area.
- We nurture young artists and since 2015, the ENF Retreat offers exceptional young musicians a matchless opportunity to spend time with outstanding world-class players, to learn both specific repertoire and also more general aspects of musical wisdom that will influence their work for years to come. Click on this link to read more about The Retreat.
- Our audience, who enjoy our events and exhibitions annually, has grown from around 700 in 2005 to an estimated 25,000.
- We have twice been awarded the Royal Philharmonic Society Award for Audience Development.
- We are funded from many sources including Creative Scotland and Fife Council, but our biggest source of income is private donations by our Patrons, who contribute around 50% of our annual budget.
We want the ENF to outlive us all and become an ever more valuable beacon of musical excellence and pleasure for many years to come. We are working to secure this long-term future of the ENF by building up an endowment fund. Its purpose is to give ENF a greater degree of financial security and independence which will enable it to plan for the future with greater confidence. Click on this link to read more about the Endowment.
ENF is a charity registered in Scotland, No SC036207
ENF is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland, No SC413581
Registered Office: Weirgate House, Weirgate Brae, St Boswells TD6 0BD
VAT registration number 865 3466 94
ENF won its 2nd PRS award for its 2016 commission “Memorial Ground”
East Neuk Festival Team (year round)
Svend McEwan-Brown, Artistic Director
Ian Gray, General Manager
Kate Whitlock, Event Producer
Ruth Davie, ENF Retreat Producer
Helen Wyllie www.wylliecat.co.uk, Design
East Neuk Festival Trustees
Donald MacDonald, Chairman
Svend McEwan-Brown, Secretary
Shields Henderson, Treasurer
East Neuk Festival
Weirgate House, Weirgate Brae, St Boswells TD6 0BD
Tel/Fax: 0330 22 11 093
For Press enquiries, contact:
Tel: 0330 22 11 093